In this ”how to” /tutorial I explain how you can make a stephanotis flower from fondant or gum paste. You can use the flowers to decorate a fondant cake or on cupcakes.
I made this small bouquet of fondant stephanotis flowers a little while ago. Here’s a tutorial that explains how I made them.
You will need:
Make sure to find all the tools before you get started.
Fondant or gum paste
Tylo powder (only if you use fondant)
Duster with corn flour
Icing colors for coloring the fondant, (for example green for the leaves)
Color dust, for example yellow for the center of the flower
Floral Wire, gauge size 22
Green or white floral tape
Cutter and veiner for stephanotis (In this tutorial I use a cutter and veiner from Petal Crafts)
Nonstick-board or cutting board
White foam mat + Mexican foam mat
Paint brushes – (1 for applying glue and 1-2 brushes for applying the dust colors)
Wirecutter & pliers
1) Start by adding icing color to the fondant or gum paste using the color of your choice. Use a food coloring paste. (If you want white flower you don’t need to color the fondant).
2) Knead the fondant or gum paste and add a pinch of tylo powder so that the fondant becomes easier to work with (if you use gum paste you don’t need the tylo powder).
Please notice: If the fondant or gum paste is left on the table for a while it will dry out and become unusable. I always protect the fondant by wrapping it in a plastic bag when not in use.
3) Make a small ball of the fondant or gum paste and roll the ball into a sausage shape.
4) Place one end of the sausage in one of the holes in the blue foam mat. Use a rolling pin to flatten the gum paste on top of the mat so that it looks like a small mushroom.
5) When you flatten the fondant with your rolling pin, roll in all directions to flatten the fondant into a large circle. You can also flatten the fondant even more by using a toothpick instead of the rolling pin.
6) Now, check that the Stephanotis cutter fits the size of the fondant circle – but don’t cut out the fondant on top of the mat.
7) Gently remove the fondant / gum paste from the mat, (if you wriggle it carefully you can remove it). Place the fondant on a cutting board / non-stick board that you have dusted with corn flour. Place the flat part facing down.
8) Cut out the flower using the stephanotis cutter. Press down the cutter firmly and twist it a bit. This way you ensure that you get a clean cut and this makes the flower look nicer.
9) Remove the scrap and shape the little ‘sausage’ so it looks likes a flower
10) Place the flower on the edge of the white foam mat and thin the petals with the ball tool by gently gliding the tool on each petal.
11) Next, pinch the ends of the petals to create a point
12) Insert the small ball on your ball tool into the center of the flower to make a small indent. Twist the ball a bit. Also, curve the petals a bit using your fingers as a mold.
13) Take some floral wire and cut it into 3 pieces. Bend the end of the wire into a small hook using pliers and dip the hook in edible glue.
14) Attach the floral wire. You do this by sticking the straight end of the wire into the center of the flower and pull it through the indent until the hook is no longer visible.
15) Leave the flower to dry. You can make a hook in the other end of the floral wire and let the flower dry hanging upside down.
8) When the flowers are dry, you can cover the wire with floral tape. In order to get the floral tape to stick to the wire you have to stretch the tape to make it sticky. Wrap the tape around the wire using your fingertips. You need to press hard while your wrap the tape (it can feel a bit uncomfortable in your finger tips). Ensure that the tape is as close to the flower as possible leaving no wire visible. You can make the bouquet by attaching the flowers and leaves to each other using floral tape.
I hope that you can use this small tutorial? Let me know if you have questions or comments or ideas for other ways of making stephanotis flowers 🙂